***

***

Friday, June 6, 2014

There are spies among us

And they're not who you think.

We all know full well that the NSA and other four letter agencies out there are listening to every word we say, taking note of our location, what we buy, who we contact. That's not the problem.
A threat known is a threat lessened.

And I'm not talking about the guy who is a rabble rouser at the sooper sekrit meeting where folks get together to plot the downfall of humanity. He's so obviously some FBI agent trying to find a patsy to be led into breaking the law so he can be arrested, and the FBI can look good, that if this were theoretically us, we could have fun with him, and send him on wild goose chases all day.

Nope. I'm talking about your family. Your friends. Hell, I'm talking about that guy who is eating dinner with his entire family at the table in the booth behind you.

Not only do you not know if this person is 'under suspicion', but with the predominance of social media sites out there, and so many people feeling the need to tweet, pin, email, facebook, and all the other options to let the inadequate feel their life has meaning, YOU are being talked about all the time. Even if you personally don't use your phone for anything but calling to let the wife know what time you're going to be home, your information is being tracked. Location, lengths of stay, who else is with you. Millions of bits of data every day from every one of us. And then you have the social media posts verifying all of it.

tweet: "My son just bought a new gun. I told him he shouldn't have so many around his children. What if one of my wonderful grandchildren were to get hurt?"
Even if you bought this from a friend you trust completely, and its a gun your buddy built in his garage out of duct tape and chewing gum, your relations are being watched if you are, and now 'They' know.

Facebook: All of a sudden, a number of completely unrelated posts show up that in effect say something like:
Taking the family on vacation starting Monday morning.

My son is sending me on a cruise to Alaska. I leave Monday morning.

Tuesday is our anniversary. We are leaving Monday to go to Vegas!

My brother is taking his wife to Disney, and wants to take me and my kids! They're so excited! They can't wait til Monday!

My son is coming in on Monday from (insert your location here). Out of the blue, he says he wants to bring the grandkids for a visit.

How do you tell your family NOT to share GOOD news? If all the above examples were to go out from one area that you happen to live in, and like me, you are decidedly anti-BIG-government, it is highly likely that 'they' will suspect something. And therefore increase surveillance, and possible step up action. Because not just the person 'on the radar', but all family and friends are being kept tabs on also, just for data they can use such as the examples above.

How about; I agree with Bobby that we should have emergency supplies in case of an electric outage, but 100 lbs of WHEAT? What are we gonna do with THAT? Burn it if the heater doesn't work?
or,
I'm SOOO excited! Just installed the solar panels, got the batteries hooked up to it, and can run everything I need to keep my family comfortable if the electric goes down! Peace of mind!

Now of course, I know that you would never stand against the tyranny of the government any more than I would. After all, breaking the law isn't the way we do things here in the United States. (Unless we're in politics and can get away with it...Right, Mr. president?)

I just thought this might be interesting in a purely rhetorical, philosophical sort of way. Something to ponder while doing some mundane task like reloading...

No comments: