***

***

Friday, March 7, 2014

Why I prep

Yes, you read that right. I don't prepare, I prep. As in 'I am a prepper'. There, I said it.
My brother stopped over yesterday afternoon, and remarked that I had enough food to last a year. No shit. (And its probably more like 4 months right now). You should have seen how much I had stored before I got shot and couldn't work. A year and a half ago, I had four times as much. Four months ago, I was eating hotdogs 5 days a week. Times got really tough, and I am so thankful I had had the food I stored for an emergency.

I'm back on my feet now, and rebuilding all I lost from not working for over a year. I'm slowly buying cheap tools to replace the quality ones I was forced to sell, and putting up as much food as I can reasonably afford.

I have two dehydrators, and I keep them both going as much as possible. Five bananas will fit in a quart sized plastic bag when dried. Apples make a nice crunchy snack to munch any time. I have cans of goods to make nutritious meals on the spur of the moment. I don't stock many ready made items, stew, chili, that sort. I stock things to make things. If I want chili, I have dried hamburger canned, If I want bacon and eggs, I just pull out a jar of home canned bacon, and reconstitute some eggs I dried, and voila, breakfast.

I can make bread from scratch, and prefer it to store bought. And that includes milling the grain
My brother thinks I'm nuts. So I asked him a few questions:

Do you carry a spare in your trunk? Why?
Do you have homeowners insurance? Why?
Do you have more than 2 pair of pants? Why?

Because if something goes wrong, you get a flat, you have a house fire, you tear the pants you're wearing while the other pair is in the wash.....

People have been preppers since mankind learned how to dry food, tan hides, and grow their own plants. In times of plenty, our ancestors would store as much as possible for lean times. The original insurance program.

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you are a prepper. Sorry. I didn't make the rules, I just take them to their logical conclusion.
And if you think things aren't going to get very lean very soon, you're either a moron, a fool, or a democrat.

Oh, and bullets. Stock plenty of bullets!

No comments: