***

***

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Just a little question

I came across some interesting survival tips recently, most of which pare down to plain common sense, but one in particular caught my eye:

Please Don’t Hurt My Family
One of the shows we watch is a police drama called “Blue Bloods”. During a recent episode, Joe Dirtbag is holding a gun to the head of the assistant district attorney who is prosecuting him. The assistant DA happens to have a brother who is a police detective named “Danny”, and has his gun drawn on Joe Dirtbag.
Danny is talking to Joe Dirtbag, and says, “Please don’t hurt my family”. His sister (the assistant DA) immediately drops to the ground and Danny shoots Joe Dirtbag. In a later scene, we learned that this phrase has been taught to four generations of their family for just that type of incident but had never been used until now.

It occurred to me that this is a very sensible way to ensure people in your family/group to maneuver in various situations. Hell, football teams do it all the time, they just call 'em plays!

So, I thought to myself: Self, what kind of situations and terms to use would this work on? Its mostly my wife and I, but the goddaughter and her kids, which I consider my grandkids, stay over often enough.....

I drew a blank. Seriously. Thanks to Common Core, I put two and two together, came up with five, and completely lost it after that. Except for the scenario above, I got nuthin'.

What situations/terms can you think of? I'd be interested in some ideas.

3 comments:

Walpurgis said...

I was in a situation with an attempted mugging/carjacking where a phrase like that would have been great. Have the wife drop down so I could have a clear field of fire.

I would think that carjacking, muggings, active shooters in area, and almost any time you need your spouse and/or children to scatter behind cover or go to ground would apply.

Xenolith said...

I agree wholeheartedly. But in a situation like that, what term to use? You can't just yell GET DOWN, or the threat will know your intent. Appreciate the comment, but curious about the term to use. Somehow, "Honey, make me a sammich" seems out of context.

B said...

IF there is something suspicious at your home, have an innocuous code word so you can call and ask if everything is OK:


How are the kids?

"kinda ranbunctuous".

THis tells you there is an issue and the person at home is under duress.

Also have a 'RUN like hell" codeword. Something like "Cantakerous" or something that the person would generally not use.

And a code word for all clear.


Me: I use "rambo" as a codeword for your question.... It works into nearly any conversation with a bit of work.