***

***

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

It's a start

Not what I was hoping for, but it's a start! 
This is what I have for a garden this year.  Only 13X13, but considering I had to turn it by hand,  and it took me 3 days to turn it, and another 2 to rake it clean,  I'll take what I can get! 

I have corn, green beans, beets, sunflower, peas, onions, acorn, zucchini, yellow, butternut squash, pumpkin, cantaloupe, watermelon, carrots, tomatoes,  pickles,  and spinach, so I'm pretty pleased for now. I doubt I'll have enough of any of them to do much canning, but it will help keep down my produce bill this fall. 

I also started my salad greens inside, and have transferred them into my small salad garden:

This has kale, spinach, tomato, romaine, Bibb, and Simpson lettuces, cabbage, and collard greens.  

I have my herbs started in the house, and will be putting them in larger individual pots outside for the warm months, then bring them back in for the winter.

Working on the front stair railing tomorrow. Hopefully get that done and then get the aluminum skirting done.

It may be a small start, but my attitude toward life gets better with every task completed. Better to start small and add on then do nothing...

I know. Boring shit. But hey, again, better than nothing.
Take care my friends. And keep your powder dry!

3 comments:

michigan doug said...

Too many vineing plants,not enough space for them. gonna end up with a Butterpumcantamelon.

taminator013 said...

Looks like a great start to me. The tilling will be easier next year and I'm sure you'll double the size in no time. Best of luck to you..........

Xenolith said...

The vines are spread around the perimeter and I plan to train them along the fence. The pic doesn't show the fence around the plot too well...
And I grew up gardening in Michigan. Hopefully I learned SOMETHING from those days I hated working in my mom's garden!