***

***

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

guns, and why we need them.

Let me preface by giving my heartfelt condolences to all those victims who lost their lives in the senseless violence perpetrated by mentally deficient scum over the weekend, and throughout our recent history in this country. And to those left behind that have been denied their loved ones presence in their lives.


These are acts of violence incomprehensible in a civil society. And so unnecessary.


We do not need to take guns away from the people. The people aren't only those who are out enjoying their lives in what should be a carefree environment of a night on the town, or simply going about their daily shopping to procure the necessities of life. The people are the perpetrators of these heinous crimes as well as the police, government officials, or their security details too. Do we take away their guns as well.


In a civil society, the ones in power and holding authority cannot be the only ones armed.


It has been said that an armed society is a polite society. And a heavily armed society is an extremely polite society.
How long would either of those mad dogs have lasted had they tried that shit in a group of fully armed and trained populace going about their day?
Don't take our guns. Pass them out for free.


I would imagine there would be a learning curve. At first there would be quite a few morons who are unable to control their emotional impulses, and would brandish their weapons in a foolish manner, but this unfortunate number would be self correcting in a relatively short time, and in my own personal opinion, less than the numbers incurred in a disarmed population dependent on the arrival of an armed officer to rescue them.


I had a gun safety course in school. Of course, that was many years ago, in a time when progressives didn't run our education system to the extremes they do today.


I learned early that if I did shit that could get me hurt, I'd end up getting hurt. Sometimes I had to learn this truth myself, but more often I listened to the wisdom of my elders and just didn't do that shit. I carried a pocket knife, that was always sharp as hell, and my dad would check it periodically if I pulled it out to whittle a stick in front of him. And learned the dangers of a dull blade.
To this day, I carry a belt knife everywhere I go. I don't pull it out and threaten those I may argue or disagree with. I use it as a tool where I need either its edge, or its girth, to cut or pry.


When I legally can, I carry a gun. And I neither threaten with it nor pull it from its holster unless I need its unique ability to throw a metal projectile at extreme velocities over long distances. And because I train with it, I'm fairly accurate and know as much as when to use it, as well as when not to. Similar to the manner in which I use an extremely large piece of metal traveling at relatively fast speed to move myself from one location to another. And the government demands I be trained in the use of this vehicle before I'm allowed on the road with it. And if I use this government sanctioned vehicle in an unsafe manner, the government penalizes me. And holds me responsible for the injury incurred by others due to my malfeasance.


We need to stop our so-called leaders from denying our right to carry arms in the same manner we require the use of knives, cars, or for that matter, even a sharpened pencil, which in the wrong hands can be a quite deadly weapon.


What we need is personal responsibility. Accountability. Morality. We need to be held accountable for what we do, and not what we do it with. And when everyone is armed, that accountability is not only immediate, but permanent. Those who cannot understand this lesson will go a long way to teaching those who can. Its one of those "we hold these truths to be self evident" kind of things.


That's the only way we can hold our government accountable to US as well.


We teach our children not to play with matches, but we don't stop them when they are old enough to understand the danger of being burned. Because humans by nature are not afraid of fire until they've been burned. Or have been taught to respect it. We tell them not to ride with strangers, but eventually, they need to learn who they can trust or when not to. We cut their food for them when their young hands are too small to use a knife, but starting with making a peanut butter sandwich with a "safe" butter knife, we allow them to learn to handle a blade. We require them to learn the proper operation of a vehicle in our schools or by teaching them ourselves before ever allowing them to drive on a speedy, congested highway.


Why can't we wake the fuck up and teach them to use a gun?


And if you absolutely, positively, irrevocably can not bring yourself to touch this unique tool of self defense, that's okay too. Its a personal choice I guess. Some people are just sheep by nature.


Go ahead. Tell me how fucked up my 'opinion' is. Tell me how I don't know what I'm talking about.
Go ahead and call me all kinds of vulgar and/or interesting names. I'll wait til your done. Take your time, so you can be coherent.


Then go tell the survivors of our latest mass murders that were perpetrated by guns in the hands of individual mad men in a crowd of unarmed victims.

1 comment:

pigpen51 said...

I have carried a pocket knife since about the age of 9, and I cannot remember any times when I went for any length of time without one. Perhaps one day or so, like if I had to dress up, and it did not fit with my pocket, or something like that, but just as soon as I got home, and changed my clothes, back into my pocket it went.
Of course, now days, I would have to be careful in school, but I would still carry one. My needs out weigh the schools perceived rights. I actually now have on me, just 3 knives, down from my normal 5 or so. Oops, I forgot, I have 4 knives on me, I forgot one. I have a knife for different jobs, and don't want to break one for what I am using it for. I always have one smaller one that is razor sharp, and only used for things that need a sharp knife, but that won't dull the blade.
I only carry folders right now, but I am considering a Mora knife, I have two, one is carbon steel, and I am in love with it. Since I am from Michigan, the knife laws tend to be strange.
I carry a gun every day, and have no intention of stopping, but I try to respect no gun zone laws, when at all possible or prudent. If the place is impossible for me to force myself to enter without a gun, I simply will not go there. There are some pretty sketchy places here in my city, and I won't even drive there alone in the daylight, yet alone in the middle of the night. It is just too dangerous for a white guy to drive there, day or night.
Discretion is the better part of valor.