***

***

Monday, December 31, 2018

A thought on an earlier post (July 19th, 2015)

I was looking at some earlier posts I've done, and came up on one called "Hoard for the Hordes". I wrote this one after a visit from my Utah-settled sister to my brother's house in Oklahoma, where I had to explain why I carry so many weird and unusual objects with me to my brother in law.
He then extolled at length over the bounty of food they had set in storage in the Mormon (don't get me started on THEM) tradition of End Of The World Preparedness.
I actually agree with having food set aside for emergencies. And water. And a means to create warmth and cook. And a self sufficient lifestyle, etc. etc. ad nauseum.
And in reading this long ago written post, where my brother in law extolled his virtuous Mormon discipline of storing SO much food for the End Of The World, something came to me that I wish I had mentioned to him at the time.

I, too, was visiting our sibling at his house, about 30 miles away from my own home. I had all the accouterments of self-sufficiency on my person that I always carry. Even without which, I could probably make it home.

Unfortunately, they had forgotten to pack their years worth of food, now 1,187 miles away, along with them in case the End Of The World came while they were out...

I may carry a lot of tools and shit I'll never need at all times, but I've always held firm to the old adage of "better to have it and not need it, than have it at home and be 1,187 miles away from it".

1 comment:

Phil said...

I carry so much shit in my pockets every day that I blow them out occasionally. I could probably set off a metal detector twenty feet away.
One item I have carried every day for the last fifteen years is a small, 4 inch long Blue Point Crescent Wrench. I couldn't begin to tell you how many times that little thing has saved my ass.