***

***

Thursday, December 26, 2013

My Heroes

Heroes are those you look up to. Those who embody the virtues and spirit of who you want to grow up to be.

And if I ever grow up, THESE are the people I admire, and aspire the most to be like

My Dad
Willie Nelson
Ray Stevens
Charlie Daniels
George Carlin

Dad:
Functional alcoholic. If I needed something, I had to go to the bar to see him. But he ALWAYS bought me an orange soda, and gave me a quarter for the pool table that no-one else ever played on.
He worked every day at a factory, never taking time off, and helped build our farm. He was retired Army. He loved my kids. And when he died, it was only close family at his funeral. But my Dad left behind NO people who disliked him. He paid his bills, he accepted others, and basically just didn't give a fuck about people in general if they left him alone, but would go to the point of exhaustion to help a neighbor.

Willie Nelson:
There are no drugs in his songs. There is a lot of people overcoming odds against them. There are a lot of songs of affection and loving the person you spend your life with. AND, he's fucking WILLIE!
(plus a lot of folks sing ABOUT him, including smoking weed. Which I don't, (anymore)).

Ray Stevens:
Inappropriate. Anti-Democrat. Talented beyond fucking belief. Fun as hell to listen to. And not afraid to sing his opinions.

Charlie Daniels:
Ray Stevens in pure Country! Just took him longer to get loud about it.

George Carlin:
Rude, crude, opinionated, old fucking vulgar cynic. What's NOT to admire? Thankfully, even though he's gone, we have the tapes...

And just FYI: ALL my heroes have beards. NEVER trust a man with a shaved face*, pits, or pubes! Period.



*using your face as a topiary or some kind of art project and trimming designs in it does NOT count as a beard.

No comments: