***

***

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

NOW I can see how its done!

I wear glasses. Well, I NEED glasses, I don't actually WEAR them. Don't like 'em, don't want 'em. But seeing things actually helps at times, like crossing traffic, walking, the little things. So with my sight getting even worse since my dog ate my last pair of glasses, (really) and my back starting to hurt from constantly leaning toward the computer screen, and the headaches from trying to read off the TV that's a blur across the room, I gave in.

And here's how they stick ya! Went to an eye doctor that advertised $20.00 exams! (with insurance). Get 'em while their hot!

Then you get there and they ask if you want the thingee where they dilate your eyes. Say yes, its an extra forty bucks. But of course, its your call. HOWEVER (comma) if they don't do the dilation, they won't write a prescription.

Isn't that what you came for in the first place? To get a prescription? So pay 20 bucks and they tell you your sight is bad. WOW! Big news break there! OR pay 60 bucks, and they'll throw in a 'free' prescription with every purchase!

Okay. You pay the extortion price for the actual piece of paper that says how bad your eyes really are. But you DON'T buy THEIR glasses that they sell. HA! you'll show them! Besides, all they have are 'designer' frames that come with big price tags attached.

So instead, you go to some 'payless' brand. You know, the one that advertised TWO pair for the low low price of $39.99 for both!

So you get there, and go pick out a couple of frames you like, take them to the counter, and they look at you with shock. You actually expected PRESCRIPTION lenses? Hmmm, that's gonna be extra.
So you pay the 40.00 bucks for the two sets of frames, Thirty bucks for the first set of "prescription" lenses (who knew, right?) and twenty for the second set, and, "oh, by the way. Did you want the scratch resistant type lenses?" Its completely free on the second set.

Okay, in for a dime, in for a dollar, right? So you pay the extra for the scratch resistant lenses, but to get it, you are ACTUALLY required to buy the entire 'package'. Optional tinting, scratch resistant, one year warranty on the lenses. (the frames come with a warranty, NOT the lenses!) and this costs and extra $30 bucks for the first pair and another twenty for the second (free) set.

Long story short, I should be able to see for around Sixty Dollars.

Exam (with assumed prescription)        20.00
Pair of glasses                                     40.00
Second pair                                           0.00
                                                          60.00 (+tax, of course)


Actual cost   Exam                              20.00
                     Dilation                         40.00
                     Pair of glasses                40.00
                     w/prescription lens        30.00
                     Scratch Resist. PKG        30.00
                     Second pair                   FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                     w/prescription lens        20.00 (ten bucks off the second set!)
                     Scratch Resist Pkg          20.00
New and improved total:                    200.00

I did however turn down the scratch resistant package on BOTH pair of glasses. Saved Fifty bucks!
Guess I'll just have to stop throwing the damn things around like I do. But fuck it, I got a second pair if WHEN the first get scratched all to hell!

If I had had glasses in the first place, maybe I coulda seen this coming!

2 comments:

Phil said...

Dude! I put off getting glasses way too long. Go To The Dollar Store!!!
After buying several pairs there I finally got my eyes checked for the first time in 35 years. They gave me a prescription FOR THE SAME GLASSES I PAID A BUCK FOR!!!

Now that my eyes have gotten worse and I have insurance, I had to get Bi Focals. Should have gotten the seamless kind. After my 25 dollar co pay, they charged my insurance five hundred and fifty dollars, without the scratch proofing, for the ugliest motherfucking safety glasses you have ever seen in your life, that I can't see a fucking thing out of that isn't either six inches away from my face or three feet away.

Fuck them bastards. Right back to the fucking Dollar Store I went.

You can get decent readers there once in a while with metal frames even.

When they have them, buy all of them that work and stash the extras away.
20 pairs for twenty bucks works for me!

I mix a 'em up so that I have stronger ones just for reading.

Xenolith said...

I actually should have bifocals too. I can use dollar store glasses for 'up close' shit, but my big problem is being far-sighted. I can't see nothin' that's more than 5 feet away worth a damn. And for THOSE, ya gotta go to the optometrist....
What a racket!