***

***

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wally World done gone TOO far!

I actually like Walmart. Cheap shit at cheap prices, so when you get it home and it breaks after the second use, you don't feel so bad.

But there's saving money, and then there's saving money. Some things you do NOT skimp on.
Yummy!

My Polar brand Kipper Snacks are one of them. I love these delightful little tins of variously prepared herring fillets. The tomato sauce in the tomato kippers is sweet and tangy, their paprika sauce kippers are just hot enough  to entice, but mild enough to enjoy time and time again. I could go on, mustard, smoked, hot sauce, but I'm sure you can tell where I'm coming from.

So the other day, I went in to buy my delectable tins of fishy goodness, and find not my usual old friend and staunch companion, but a NEW kipper on the block, at $1.00 a tin, from Pampa foods.

I thought to myself: Self, these can't be that much different from Polar brand, they both start with a P, they have the basic same flavor varieties, come in the same size and weight tin. What the hell. AND they cost about 28 cents less....

So, of course, I stocked up.

Two days later, last night as a matter of fact, I opened a tin of Pampa Herring Fillets in Mustard sauce. It was TERRIBLE. Mushy, where I'm used to nice firm fillets, flat and tasteless. It was like (trying to) chew card board that has been through a blender and then let sit for a few days to REALLY soak up the liquid. I threw the tin away after the first few bites. I wouldn't even feed this crap to my cat, who usually sits around meowing for the tin before I've even taken my first bite of those delicious fillets of meaty, fishy goodness from Polar.

I am disappointed in Walmart. To save their customers a few cents, and probably HUGELY increase their profit per tin, they destroyed my culinary love affair with my tinned fish. I have been left bereft of my herring, and can't find them in any other store.

Some things you don't mess with. A man's fish is one of them!

Blechhh!


2 comments:

Heroditus Huxley said...

Have you checked Amazon?

hiswiserangel said...

Amazon has them in various flavors, 9 to a case.

http://www.amazon.com/MW-Polar-Herring-Mustard-6-Ounce/dp/B004TDTZE6