***

***

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Prophetic fiction

In 1983, William W. Johnstone began a fictional series of books that started with "Out of the Ashes".

I first read this book sometime in the late eighties, and became an instant fan. But I clearly remember thinking how unlikely the scenario presented was, and found Mr. Johnstone's imagination to be more like the whims of a youth laying on a hillside idly wasting a productive day by cloud dreaming.

Okay, enough of the prose. I, in my own youth, was painfully innocent of the true nature of this world. Reading it again today, after lo these many years, it reads like more of a history book than fiction of the future.

Now I readily admit to being just a tad lazy, and there is no way I'm going to type a whole page (or two) from a book and put it on here. I will, however, scan the damn thing. Now this is only pages 14 and 15. From page 1 this book is a grabber, and it just keeps getting better!

It is THE number one book on the Xenolist. If you can't find it in your local bookstore, and I'll lay even money your library doesn't carry it, it can be found on ebay for three to 15 bucks. My copy is the 3 dollar variety. Used, in good condition, comfortable. And no, you can't borrow it. Go buy your own. NOW.


2 comments:

Walpurgis said...

This book, and series, is also available on Amazon. 4 bucks for the kindle version.

Xenolith said...

I've got a kindle, but I just like the feel of a real book in my hand. Plus, books still work if the battery in 'em dies!