***

***

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

It's 1:24 AM, Tuesday, February 4th, 2014.

Remember this date, remember this time. I have been comforting a friend for over an hour. And now, my friend just passed away.

Her name was Swee'pea. It was my mother's favorite flower, and as a sailorman, I liked the link to Popeye's little baby.

She was one of the sweetest ladies I've ever known. She raised two litters of babies, and even when she was taking care of her children, would always be willing to spend time with me. She used to run across the sofa to climb on me, and would 'talk' to me directly into my ear while she sat on my shoulder.

She was a rat.

You don't like rats? Then you don't KNOW rats.

Rats can fall off a 10 story building and run off unharmed.
Rats have been found over 10 miles out to sea.
Rats can tread water for more than 3 days.
Rats can leave tooth marks in drop-forged steel.
Rats can play basketball.
Rats are naturals at being potty trained.
Rats can crawl through any opening as large as a quarter.
Rats are more affectionate than ANY other pet known to man.

RATS are one of FOUR creatures on this entire fucking PLANET who have been PROVEN to have metacognition. For you Neanderthals out there, that means they are AWARE that they are thinking. And YOU are one of the four. Or at least should be. The other two are anthropoid apes, and dolphins.

And rats are more socially oriented than ANY other domesticated animal. PERIOD.

Plus: They are a major source of protein in a LOT of underdeveloped countries, and I have eaten rat myself. With rice. In a curry sauce. But that rat was NOT my friend. I didn't even know it as even a passing acquaintence!

I have had Swee'pea for only two years. She got sick, and I don't know why. She had two of her babies and a sister in the same housing with her, and only she, for some reason, became lethargic, and tonight, died. While I held her.

I will miss her.

She meant more to me than most people I know. Or have ever known. She was special. And she was family.

4 comments:

B said...

Losing a friend is never easy, no matter what the species.

My condolences

hiswiserangel said...

I'm so sorry, xeno. My inappropriate sense of humor requires me to tell you this joke. Why did scientists start using lawyers instead of rats in their experiments?

The scientists didn't get as attached to the lawyers, and there are some things a rat just won't do.

*hugs*

Xenolith said...

No worries, Angel. You know how off kilter MY sense of humor can be. And that gave me a smile.
Now, I think I'll go to bed.....
Nite!

Heroditus Huxley said...

It's so hard to lose a beloved furry friend. Most of mine have been cats, but I have been acquainted with rats, and think that they are wonderful critters.

I'm sorry.